Thursday 23 August 2007

Driving through Yorkshire

Monday was my first day exploring by myself. I planned to head to Bradford and do some family history research and then maybe up to Castle Howard or over to Kingston-upon-Hull. Thanks to TomTom, a gps system for those who don't know (and to Adam for buying it) I decided to go on an adventure - after all, how lost could I get?

The destination was Hebden Bridge. To get there I had to drive through the Yorkshire countryside, the first stop was Hollingworth Lake (picture above). I wished I had more time as there was a walking track around it, and although it was cold and windy, it would have been nice to stretch my legs.

At first glance I was very disappointed to reach Hebden Bridge, there was nothing there! So, I decided to move on... TomTom had me turn left into a road which suddenly became a pedestrian walkway - oops! There was a small parking area so I decided to take a short break as I had been driving for well over and hour and had a long way to go. What a great decision - TomTom had taken me into a beautiful village, with a bubbling creek, green trees, quaint buildings, steep hills and I knew how this place got into the DK guide.


After a lovely walk and a quick bite, I hit the road again. I decided Haworth would be my destination, the home of Anne, Emily & Charlotte Bronte.

Here are some picture from the drive... the first photo is taken from Migden Wells...


About 1-2 km down the road I was on the other side of the hill... these are taken from Oxenbridge.



The best known Bronte sister, Charlotte, is famous for novels such as Jane Eyre (1847). Her sister, Emily, wrote Wuthering Heights (1847) and Anne wrote, Agnes Grey (1847) and The Tennant of Wildfell Hall (1848). Their father, Patrick, was the perpetual curate of Haworth. The church had been there since the 1500s but was largely demolished and rebuilt after Patrick's death. The tower is the only remaining original part of the building. Below is a picture of Haworth from a neighbouring hill. You can see the Church Tower in the centre.


The below photo doesn't do the house or the location justice, but it is easy to see how its a perfect place to write. This is the view from the house of the church and vise versa.






Just to finish off - these are some of the windows in the church... I am always amazed at the detail.



The Saints:


The Angels:

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a very clever TomTom to lead you to such a lovely place. Great pics. You're right about learning a bit about the history of each locale before visiting, it must make the exploring so much more rewarding. Your pics are just like stepping back into the history you talk about. Loving it.